Astley Media was tasked, by Somerset West and Taunton Council, to set out a clear two-year Inward Investment Marketing and Communications plan and deliver the first 12 months of activities. Two key audiences were identified; businesses, from outside the area, looking to invest in the South West, and indigenous businesses looking to grow.
First, we conducted a full inward investment review to understand the offer to businesses looking to relocate or grow. This included desktop research, a competitor analysis, a SWOT analysis and interviews with key SWT staff and external stakeholders, to understand more about their work, and their perspective on the offering for businesses in the district.
From this we developed a 26 page Marcomms plan, summarising the research outcomes and key marketing challenges, with recommendations made for communication tactics and outputs. The plan included a brand proposition and identified three key priority sectors to focus on. To define the offer to businesses, and in line with competing towns and cities, a sub brand was created.
The new business brand, SWITCH, formed the basis of an overarching campaign and included a unique logo (with brand guidelines), a redesign of the Invest Taunton website (including the creation of all new content), a brand video, three new case studies and a slide deck presentation. The culmination of the activity was a business launch event, at Somerset County Cricket Club, featuring a panel discussion and the video premiere.
Added to the development of marketing assets, we also established relationships with locally based businesses, in order to appoint SWITCH ambassadors and gather content for the website (images, video, testimonials, copy).
- Invest Taunton website redevelopment and content creation: www.investtaunton.co.uk
- 13 business leaders secured as SWITCH ambassadors, with testimonials developed for use across all communications
- Three business case studies created
- 44 attendees at launch event, with 5 panel guests
- A brand video created in collaboration with organisations such as the UK Hydrographic Office, Viridor, Rutherford Diagnostics and EDF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IeVXQzrn9g&t=4s
- New enquiries made with SWT’s Inward Investment Service